With fourteen 60-minute video classes, this is one of the most in-depth cacao education programs you can find online.
This comprehensive education includes everything covered in each of our individual courses: Cacao & Holistic Health, Developing Your Cacao Practice, The History & Culture of Cacao, Cacao Sourcing & Transformation, Facilitating Cacao Offerings, and Amplify Your Ritual Magick.
You can move through the course material at your own pace and re-watch any of the recordings at any time. "Love-work" journalling prompts support your integration of the course material, and supplemental reading and video materials deepen your understanding of the course content. An online private social network offers a forum for any questions you have as you go through the course material, and allows you to connect with other participants as well.
The DetailsWe will meet live over virtual video conference on Zoom for fourteen 60-minute classes on the following dates. All classes will be at 11:00 am PT. All classes will also be recorded and e-mailed to you so you can watch at any time if you aren't able to join live.
- Cacao and Holistic Health November 3 & 5
- Developing Your Cacao Practice November 12 & 14
- The History and Culture of Cacao November 19, 21 & 26
- Cacao Sourcing and Transformation December 3 & 5
- Facilitating Cacao Offerings December 10, 12 & 17
- Amplify Your Ritual Magick January 7 & 9
You will receive
- Supplemental reading to prepare for the class.
- "Love-work" journaling prompts to follow up and integrate the course material.
- Lifetime access to a private social network where you can ask questions about the course material and connect with other course participants.
Cacao & Holistic Health
- Physical Benefits of Cacao, Caffeine, Minerals & Mood Enhancing Neuromodulators
- Detoxification & The Download on Heavy Metals in Cacao
- The Cocoa Powder Lie & The Benefits of the Whole Bean
- A Sugar Story - Cacao and the Gut
- Emotional, Energetic & Spiritual Benefits of Working With Cacao
- Navigating the Cacao Marketplace
Develop Your Cacao Practice
- Cultivating Relationships with Plant Spirits
- Setting the Space, Frequency, and Timing of Rituals
- Cacao Songs and A Cacao Dieta
- How to Give Meaningful Gratitude
- How to Ask for Help and Magic
- 10 Practical Rituals to ring Cacao Practice Into Your Life
- Right Relationship - How to Navigate Reliance on Cacao
- Cacao Microdose Rituals
History & Culture Of Cacao
- Cacao Evolution and Genetics, Early Cultivation and Human Use
- Olmec, Mayan, and Aztec Use of Cacao
- Western Contact with Cacao and Colonization of Central + South America
- Present Day Commodity Cacao Conditions in Africa and Beyond
- Cacao Revival and What is Needed for Decolonization
- Decolonization Case Studies: Brazil, Guatemala, and Uruguay
- Filling The Western Cultural Void // Ancestral Lineage Work
- The Importance of Authenticity
- Tools For Navigating Call-outs Including Self Care & Accountability Practices and How to Lovingly Invite People Into Decolonization Discussions
Cacao Sourcing & Transformation
- ‘Ceremonial Grade’ defined
- Regenerative Cacao Farming Practices
- Wet Cacao Purchasing and the Social Impact Benefit
- Plantations vs. Small Farms, Fair Trade vs. Transparent Trade
- Fermentation & The Truth Behind The Raw Cacao Marketing Trend
- Cacao Supply Chain - Why Organic Certified Cacao Matters
- Cacao Production: Roasting, Shelling, Grinding, Conching, Tempering and Depositing The Discs
- The Four Element Spiral of Making Ceremonial Cacao
Facilitating Cacao Offerings
- What Is Cacao Ceremony & Why Cacao Ceremonies Are Trending
- Traditional Cacao Rituals In Practice Today
- Tuning into Your Why
- Guidelines for Creating a Coherent and Safe Group Field
- Guidelines for Easeful Facilitation
- A Roadmap For Sharing Cacao With Groups, Women's & Men's & Non-binary Circles, Partners & Family Members
- Cacao Ceremony Logistics and Templates
- Heart-Aligned & Socially Aware Marketing & Partnerships
Amplify Your Ritual Magick
- Connecting With The Animals And Elementals
- Discover your Roots - Ancestry Exploration
- Elemental And Animal Symbolism & Rituals
- Ways to Incorporate Each Element in Ceremony
- Nature Connection Exercises
- Ways to Incorporate Animal Guides in Ceremony
- Dreamwork + Shamanic Voyage to Connect With Animal Guide
After first encountering chocolate making with a Zapotec elder in Oaxaca Mexico in 2012, Jonas founded Firefly Chocolate in 2014, with the mission of inspiring awe and wonder through cacao. As his third entrepreneurial venture and his first at the helm, starting a business was a big initiation. Building a modern chocolate factory to produce purely 100% ceremonial cacao took many years, and now Firefly has found its footing with a unique expertise as a leading supplier of ceremonial cacao in the US and internationally. Jonas loves that every day he shows up to work, he gets to work with cacao, and it is always teaching him. His favorite part about teaching these courses is that he gets to share that rich learning experience with you.
Jonas goes by he/his, and he identifies as a first-generation American, having immigrated from Germany at 4 years old, He grew up in Boston, land of the Massachusetts people, and lives in Northern California, occupied land of the Nisenan people.
Sena worked at Google pioneering their hardware projects for 5 years before discovering cacao in a ceremony in Mexico in 2015. She eventually left her corporate job which led to travels in Peru, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Belize to deepen her connection with cacao. She joined the Firefly team in 2018 after teaching many about ceremonial cacao through her online courses and in addition to her marketing support for Firefly, continues to lead ceremonies, retreats, and workshops on cacao stewardship.
Sena goes by she/hers, and identifies as half-Mexican and half-European. She grew up in the land of the Dakota Sioux, now called Minnesota, and lives in Northern California, occupied land of the Nisenan people.
THE COURSE WAS SO LIFE CHANGING. IT WAS SO MUCH MORE THAN I EXPECTED. ~ Crystal
The course was so life changing. It was so much more than I expected. My intention was to take the class as a way to develop z spiritual practice. All the "spiritual" practices in the past never felt right for me. Cacao makes me feel so connected, makes me heart so open and big. She begs for me to share her with others. As I sit with what I have learned and am still learning I have a great desire to become a ceremonial cacao facilitator for my community. Fargo needs this! I also have changed my primary beverage of the morning to cacao instead of coffee. Realizing now the janky, anxiety ridden vibes of coffee I've been allowing all these years where why I didn't feel good. Ufta! But mama cacao makes me feel so good and energetic without ever dropping a beat. Those heart vibes are so real and big. Thank you a million times over to you both... Jonas and Sena. Now if we can have a sustainable way for everyone to drink cacao everyday and spread the good vibes. Cacao can and will surely change the world.
HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND EXPERIENCING AND LEARNING FROM THIS CLASS. ~ Michelle
When I first saw Firefly Chocolate's announcement of their "Meet Cacao" course I didn't hesitate to sign up, and I'm so glad I did! Such thoughtful presentation of topics, so knowledgeable of the cultural history, literally all things cacao, nutritionally, farm to disc, ceremonial cacao, and so much more flowed so generously throughout this course. Jonas and Sena are a wonderful team of knowledge, a great balance, and beautiful space holders. This course exceeded my expectations and for me was the perfect balance between cacao facts, nutrition, history, also their farmers and standards (all wrapped around handling this plant as living medicine, a sacred being-and bean!), as well as the spiritual side of cacao, ritual and ceremony, the sacred plant medicine. Highly, highly recommend experiencing and learning from this class. You will connect with great people, you will love working with cacao. I learned so much about the plant and myself, which is a continuing experience as I grow in this journey with Mama Cacao. So much gratitude for Jonas and Sena, their tremendous knowledge and respect, and the lovely space they create for this special class.
All the best to you both, thank you again! I can't wait to take the Stewardship/Facilitator course, just wasn't meant to be this time around--but hopefully next time! See you in the chats and on social media LOL!
SOMETHING QUITE SPECIAL. ~ Marty
My experience of the course was not like I imagined it to be. First off, equal attention was given to both heart time and brain time; and they were woven together seamlessly. While there was significant information about all aspects of Cacao, it was delivered in a heart full connected way, and rather than just receiving data points, I had the full experience of what I was learning. I am all in for the next level of Steward the Medicine while insights resulting from my personal Cacao ritual continue to enrich and inform. Kudos to Jonas and Sena for creating something quite special.
I WAS ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY... THIS COURSE TRULY EXCEEDED MY EVERY EXPECTATION! ~ Lyndsay
I signed up for Meet Cacao simply wanting to gather more information for myself on the medicinal and physical benefits that I felt were beginning to transpire for me in my month of drinking Firefly Chocolate. I was absolutely blown away after the very first class with the depth of information and education that the course provided and the honesty and candor with which Jonas and Sena presented everything. Each class continued to inspire my curiosity about Ceremonial Cacao and the benefit of participating live when I could was also a wonderful surprise gift of community! My only wish was that the course was spread over 6 weeks with one class a week instead of two so that I would have had more time to steep in the information I collected from each class and allow it to more fully integrate before even more interesting information was presented. This course truly exceeded my every expectation! I feel much more able to speak about cacao to friends and family with this foundational information to build upon. Thank you for this offering and for sharing your knowledge with the world! Mama Cacao is working her magic through you and Firefly Chocolate!
Online Course FAQs
Online Course FAQs
Q: I’ve never done an online course before, how should I prepare?
A: We know new things can be a little intimidating, yet trust us when we say it's quite easy to receive cacao information and experiences online!
Whether you are watching the recording or joining us live, we recommend setting up your space beforehand to optimize your ability to be present.
Set the space
- Ideally, you can be in a private space and dedicate this time to self-study. You can create a nourishing space with pillows, candles, and other meaningful items, or keep it simple. We recommend having a dedicated notebook & pen for your work with cacao. Also water, tea or maybe even some cacao to sip on during class can be nice.
- Since this will be via your laptop or phone, you will want to make sure your devices are charged or that you have a charging cord and outlet nearby. You can prop your computer or phone up in a chair or with books to allow for easeful watching and typing without hurting your neck or back. You may also want headphones.
Q: I’ve never done an online course before... what's it like?
A: We decided to use an online format so we can connect with you via your smartphone or computer, no matter where you are in the world.
You can imagine it like FaceTime or Skype video chat, but with your video and audio off. Or, you will be watching a recording of us presenting to you, webinar style. Essentially, it's like connecting with your teachers in the comfort of your own home!
Q: What is the time commitment required each week?
A: Each module is broken into either two or three 60-minute classes. If you are joining us live, your commitment will be two hours, plus any integration time where you may want to review your notes or re-watch certain parts of the video. We recommend planning for three hours for the two-part courses and 4 hours for the three part courses including prep and integration time.
Q: Where does this content come from? Is there a specific lineage that you have studied with?
A: We believe that cacao ritual is the art of engaging in sacred relationship with the cacao plant. In the Western context, this is a relatively new phenomenon, as people seek a deeper relationship with cacao beyond that which the “candy” chocolate industry offers. Cacao is an incredible guide for re-connecting people to their own ritual practices, as we believe that ritual is natural to all humans, and fundamental to our ability to survive and thrive in right relationship with the earth, the elements, and each other.
We do not claim any relationship between the modern cacao rituals we offer and ancient or indigenous practices of cacao ceremony. Rather, we seek inspiration by looking to:
- Our ancestors' practices of ceremony and ritual
- Ancient and modern indigenous world views and understandings of medicinal plants
- Our present day connection to the ecosystems that we live in and are a part of
- Embodied traditions of yoga, breathwork, song and dance
Sena and Jonas together developed the concept of cacao stewardship as a way to create informed cacao lovers with a grounded understanding of the history and present day context of how cacao impacts indigenous communities. The cacao stewardship framework is the result of frequent personal study with cacao for over seven years, on the ground visits with cacao farmers and cooperatives, and anti-oppression work studying decolonization, cultural appropriation and social justice initiatives.
Q: I live in a country outside of the U.S. and the class time doesn't work for me. Is there a different class time that I could join?
A: We hear you! You will receive the recorded version of the class via email so you can watch at a time that is convenient for you, and re-watch as many times as you'd like.
Q: I’m brand new to cacao… is this course right for me?
A: Yes! We recommend starting with Course 1: Cacao and Holistic Health. This course is a foundational overview of working with ceremonial cacao focusing on the physical & wellness aspects. From there you can move into course #2, and so on, or you can jump around to the topics which interest you most.
Even if you have a strong connection with cacao, each of these courses is unique, and provides an in-depth perspective that you won't find anywhere else. We include footage from our stays with the cacao farming communities in Belize, Guatemala and Tanzania, insights from making our cacao discs from the beans in our chocolate factory, and stories from our personal rituals. This course sets the stage for empowering cacao stewards that have a well-rounded and cohesive understanding of how ceremonial cacao impacts us personally and collectively.
Q: Does this course cover how to facilitate group cacao ceremonies?
A: We focus on specifics around space holding, and cacao ceremony in Course #5: Facilitating Cacao Offerings.
Honestly, we recommend taking all of our courses if you are planning on sharing cacao with your communities, as the more accurate information you have, and the more connection you have to cacao, the more potent and clear your offerings will be.
Q: I want to take all of the courses together! Is that possible?
A: Yes! When you add all six courses to your cart you can enter the discount code: CACAOSTEWARD to receive a $97 discount. Each course is a part of a comprehensive cacao curriculum that we developed, so this was actually designed as a complete course in itself before we broke it down into a more modular format.Q: Do I have to drink cacao to be a part of the course?
A: While it’s not required to drink cacao during our courses, drinking cacao regularly throughout the course will help you to deepen your relationship with cacao.
Q: Do I get a certificate upon completion of this course?
A: We are not offering this as a certification program, because sharing cacao is a heart calling that only you can hear and know. Our intention for this course is to share best practices and learn from each other to raise the bar in the quality of cacao ceremonies and healing experiences people have all over the world. We (Jonas & Sena) won’t be evaluating you or judging the quality of your offerings and we envision this more as a council space for sharing and learning from each other.Q: How did you arrive at the course price?
A: The course price is the result of personal inquiry & heart-based evaluation of our values. We honor the energy we put in to organize, facilitate, and create the resources for this course. In looking at other online extended learning classes, we feel this offering is a really good value for those wanting to deepen their connections and offerings with cacao. We are distilling years of knowledge into these courses, and a fair monetary exchange for our energy input supports us in our personal well-being and our ability to run our company with sustainable ethical sourcing at the forefront of our values.
One of our company’s primary reasons for existing is the positive social impact we can create through our products. As an independent small business with no outside investors, cash flow is a significant challenge, and the money coming from this course will directly enable us to buy more cacao from the farmers that we work with. Buying more cacao from them has a direct social impact on the farmers’ livelihoods and their communities. It also has a direct positive impact on the local ecosystems as the cacao we purchase is organic and sustainably farmed supporting thriving rainforest habitat. We will soon be releasing our Social Impact Report which offers full transparency into the industry leading prices we offer and the environmental benefit we offer.
Q: I changed my mind! Can I cancel my registration after signing up?
A: In order to keep costs down and make our courses accessible we've minimized the admin efforts needed to run it. Meaning that when you sign up you will automagically receive the course recordings in your email as soon as they are available. Because of this, we aren't allowing cancellations after purchase. We believe in the quality of our content and encourage you to sign up only when you feel 100% clear on your commitment.