How do you know if cacao is right for you?
For many people, ceremonial cacao is excellent for physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health.
However, if you have a common existing health condition or concerns—such as high blood pressure, digestion issues, taking medications—it’s important to proceed with care.
Below, we share the best ways to test if your body is receptive to cacao right now.
And remember… your body will change, so you may discover that your body prefers varying amounts of cacao over the years!
How to Test Your Body's Response to Cacao
1. Start with our Pure 100% Cacaos, rather than the Enhanced 100% Cacaos that contain additional ingredients. With just about any food, you never know how your body will react. So, it’s best to eliminate the variables and start with the basics.
2. Start small. Try letting one disc melt slowly on your tongue. Stick with that for a week. The next week, try 2 discs. Then 3. Slowly work your way up, as you feel comfortable. Don’t rush it. Listen to your body. Trust your intuition. No need to rush!
3. Next, try making a micro-dose cacao drink with varying levels of water: For example, 3-5 discs with 1/2 cup water. You can even dilute it more. This is a great way to receive the many medicinal benefits of cacao without overwhelming your body. Note: if you consume excessive alcohol or coffee, you will be less sensitive to microdoses of cacao.
4. If that goes well, experiment with increasing your dose, or if that feels perfect, you can keep your dose right there. More cacao does not equal more benefit!
5. You can also try experimenting with how quickly you drink or eat your cacao. If it is your first time, perhaps you try consuming the cacao over the course of an hour. For example, while reading, writing, hiking, walking, studying, praying, yoga, dancing. You do not have to drink it all at once! Savor it. Allow your body to receive each sip.
6. Then, as your body adjusts to cacao, you can decide if you are ready to drink your cacao in a shorter time period.
As always, we recommend drinking plenty of water before and after your ritual to stay hydrated.
7. Additionally, take note of many other factors such as:
- When do you drink cacao? Some people love it first thing in the morning. Others prefer it as an afternoon or evening ritual.
- Are you drinking on an empty stomach or a full stomach?
- Are you drinking in a relaxed state or a stressed state?
While there are many factors to consider, try starting with the above and let us know how you feel!
Pure Cacaos to Get You Started!
Boundless Belize 100% Ceremonial Cacao Drink
Glowing Guatemala 100% Ceremonial Cacao Drink
Thriving Tanzania 100% Ceremonial Cacao Drink
Do you have any questions on rituals? Or would you like to share your rituals with us?
We'd love to hear from you and feature your cacao practice in future newsletters! Text us at +1 (844) 695-0043, reply to this email, reach out on social media, or click on the bottom-right-hand corner of our website for help.
With Love, Gratitude, & Cacao,
Jonas & The Firefly Family
P.S. - ❄️ We are now on a summer shipping schedule. All cacao is sent out with ice packs and recycled + recyclable insulation!
📅 Orders ship Monday through Wednesday.
🕰️ Wednesday @ 1pm PST is the last order time to make the above shipping window, so that we can reduce the likelihood of your cacao being delayed in a hot warehouse over the weekend!
🧠 Please be mindful if you are ordering during a heatwave.
🏡 Bring your package inside as soon as you can after it is delivered!
📲 We recommend opting in for text message delivery notifications; to do this, enter your phone number at checkout and you will receive updates on your cacao!
Join Us! Firefly Community - FREE Weekly Virtual Cacao Ceremonies
Cacao brings us together and creates authentic group connections. Come experience cacao with people from around the world in a safe welcoming space. Click here to sign up and see more details!
Let's Be Friends!
Text +1 (844) 695-0043 for a more intimate cacao conversation.
You'll get access to the Firefly Family, our private circle where we share exclusive promotions, cacao ritual insights, exciting product updates, and more.